C++/C++ delay a loop or funtion for paticular time delay

Question
i need to delay my loop and execute it so how to do it in C++

Answer
I am not sure I fully understand what you are asking so I shall say sorry now if I have misunderstood what you wish to know.

As far as I can tell you wish to delay the iterations of a loop or return (?) from a function thus:

While condition is true:
         Do stuff
         Wait for required time
       End loop

Or for a function:

Function func()
         Do Stuff
         Wait for required time
         Return value
       End Function

The most obvious way is to loop until the required time has passed. The C++ standard library contains time functions (inherited from the C standard library). Of interest here is a function called clock which is declared in the header <ctime> or for C <time.h>. clock returns the processor time used since the beginning of the program execution, in units of ticks the number of ticks per second being defined by CLK_TCK (from my original ANSI C (C90) reference) or CLOCKS_PER_SEC (from my C99 reference). Note that the C++ standard references the original C90 (or it may have been C89) standard which I have not managed to get hold of!

Anyways, to wait for 1 second you could do the following:

clock_t start_tick( clock() );
       while ( clock() start_tick < CLK_TCK )
         ; // do nothing but loop...

clock_t is most likely just an alias for some suitably sized integer type.

I tried the above using Visual C++ 7.1 and it accepted both CLK_TCK and CLOCKS_PER_TICK.

The above method of spinning in a tight loop is as far as I am aware the only way to delay a program without recourse to operating system functions. It is also the most stupid way to delay on a modern multitasking/multiprocessing operating system as you are tying up the processor needlessly. Such operating systems have a way to wait by suspending your application's process or a process thread and allowing the processor to do something else until the requested delay has elapsed. Note that the time delayed may in fact be longer than requested as the task (process or thread) becomes eligible for execution scheduling after the specified delay but other tasks (processes or threads) may have a higher priority and so your task may have to wait until they yield or complete their time slot. On UN*X and other POSIX like operating systems the functions are sleep or nanosleep sleep takes a wait time in seconds an nanosleep in seconds and nanoseconds. MS Win32 based operating systems (Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP etc..) have a function called Sleep which sits in the middle as far as the resolution is concerned taking the number of milliseconds to wait as a parameter.

So on a Win32 system you could do something like the following:

while (not_done)
       {
         not_done = DoStuff();
         Sleep(20); // Suspend thread execution for 20ms
       }

You can look up the required headers and libraries using the internet the Win32 API documentation can be found in the MSDN library which is online as part of the MSDN site at http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/. Linux documentation for sleep can be found at http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man3/sleep.3.html and nanosleep at http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man2/nanosleep.2.html.

Hope this was of some use.  

C++

Ralph McArdell