C++/C++ socket programming

Question
hello,

I am using microsoft visual C++ 6, and i want to ask about what libraries or header files should i include if i want to do sockets programming.

I have written a simple ftp client, though using C on Linux. what i want is to use the same code on windows, but i guess i can't just use a c compiler. please correct me if i am wrong.

If this is out of your expertise, please refer me to someone who can answer me.

Thanks. Regards,
Emad

Answer
Hello Emad, thank you for the question.

Sadly, this is a problem I'm facing myself. Windows and Linux are not very similar internally at all. The networking code on each OS is different. What I've found handy is to use a middle ware that has already solved this problem. If you google for GNE, you can try that. GNE is a very high level networking API that has already solved these problems of cross platform compatibility. Another one to try is HawkNL, but that is a much more lower level API. All the Windows networking I've done has been through socket classes in MFC, and we all know that's not cross platform.

Good luck. Let me know what you find out.

I hope this information was helpful.

- Eddie

C++

Eddie