C++/C++ versus Java

Which is more useful, in the long run? I'm trying to decide where I should focus my studies.

Dragonel , Thank you for your question.

This is like asking, which is the tastier fruit, an apple or an orange? Answer this question for me authoritatively and I will tell you which programming language is more useful.

It all depends on what you mean by "useful", that is, what kind of programming environment and/or problem domain is of interest.

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science