C++/DirectDraw Surfaces

Okay, I know how to setup a primary and secondary surface and how to set up double buffering. I know how to load bmp files and display them to the screen. However, right now when I want to draw my main character I have to load the image from the disk each time, which is very slow. I know you can create a generic DDraw surface, but I don't know how to save a loaded bmp file to that surface and use it to draw the image using hardware acceleration. Any help would be appreciated, working code would be awesome ;)

Chris Hollman , Thank you for your question.

I regret that I do not have the knowledge to answer this question (please note this in your evaluation of my response). I haven't gotten into Direct Draw yet.

I suggest that you post this question at, which is more advanced than

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science