C++/Enterpreneur vs Developer

Question
Enterpreneur vs Developer
---
I study to become a Software Developer, because writing programs is what I like the most and it pays well also. I worked as a Software Developer for 1 year and I realized that even with high pay and endless challenge there is still a salary limit - maximum what I can get is 100-120K/year. I am not all for money, but I dont like limitations. I realized recently that I could like to be a Software Enterpreneur, because I like to think about new ideas and try to implement them with almost limitless profit. For example, the richest people are the ones working in software business. Obviously there is no equilibrium between software developers and software company owners. I know from business courses that it means that market lacks software businesses and it is better to fill it then to fill already becoming tight market of software developers. But if I commit myself to software enterpreneurship, I could try to create new ideas for the rest of my life and won't create one and end up struglling to remain in IT field because I didnt develop software skills. The possible rewards are possibly huge. Committing myself totally to software development will definitely make me a high payed professional, but I will be bugged with the salary limit. Besides i will be bugged buy the limit of knowledge - there is a limit to where I can grow by being a software developer, there is no so much technologies to master. I dont have to master all of them, only the ones I work with directly. I dont like this feeling of reaching a top and staying on it. While working as a Software enterpreneur/company president, I will have limitless options for extension (i.e. Microsoft wrote OS, then office programs for OS, programming environments, then games, then created X-Box, there will be more coming). I like the idea that I will never be limited. I hope you feel me now. After some thinking I decided to do both and see what I will do best. If I will not come up with a profitable idea in near future, I will commit myself to development growth, otherwise I will continue to develop my idea and develop my business, filling the gap in the marketplace. I cannot do both forever, because I will not be able to concentrate on one of them and compete on both sides with people who commit themselves fully to only one side. But I want to hear your advice first, if you would be so kind to advise my something on this :)

P.S.: One of my recent ideas is to create a game site, similar to Yahoo! Games, but with more features and felxibility that Yahoo site lacks, probably because it cannot concentrate on only the Games part and even many people play there because of Yahoo popularity and games choices, I still think it is not a perfect place to play games. Other sites also don't shine, having many flaws and made like fast food. Do you think it can be a profitable idea?

Answer
The choice between being a developer and being an entrepreneur really boils down to risk. Being a developer has an average to good compensation for low to moderate risk. Being an entrepreneur has potentially insane compensation for equally insane risk. :-)

Your idea for a Yahoo! Games clone is good. However you will be competing with the MSN Gaming Zone as well as other well established gaming sites. So you will need something exceptional to draw the market to your site.

If you do get started and manage to make something better than the MSN Gaming Zone, be sure to support Xwing vs Tie Fighter and Xwing: Alliance so that I can play there. ;-)

-Sandra

C++

Sandra Guth