C++/GetMousePos

Question
Hello Ralph,

I was using the following code:

#include <iostream>
#include <windows.h>
using namespace std;

struct point {int x; int y;};

int getpos{
point pos;
GetMousePos(&pos);
return (pos);
}

int main(){
  getpos;
  cout << pos.x << '\n'<< pos.y;   
  return 0;
}

to see whether I could get the mouse pos, however, it does not seem to work.
I might be overlooking something stupid, as usual, but I've looked this over and over and I don't see any mistakes/errors...

I get errors like this:
'getpos' : looks like a function definition, but there is no parameter list; skipping apparent body

and surprizingly this aswell:
left of '.x' must have class/struct/union
       type is ''unknown-type''

I did "struct point" so this is kinda odd..

So the question is: How do we use GetMousePos?

thanks in advance

Answer
Well if you read what the error says and look at what you actually wrote and not what you thought you wrote you could find the error. You got the function definition form correct for main() so I shall assume you know how to define functions in C and C++.

You thought you wrote:

int getpos() { ...

You actually wrote:

int getpos{ ...

Can you spot the difference?

Here's a clue:

'getpos' : looks like a function definition, but there is no parameter list

The parameter list is the part in ( and ), which is missing in the code you sent me, i.e. "there is no parameter list" and in C and C++ it is _not_ optional when defining or declaring a function. As I said, take note of what the error message is saying and read what you wrote around the area it is complaining about!

Sorry if the above seems a little rude and belabouring the point but as you asked me rather than fixed the problem yourself I have to assume you do not know how you should handle such errors.

There are several other points about your code:

- getpos is declared as returning an int but you return a point struct.

- there is no Win32 function called GetMousePos (I assume Win32 as you include windows.h). I think you mean GetCursorPos.

- the standard Win32 point type is the POINT struct, a pointer to which is accepted by GetCursorPos.

So what do you need to do?

- fix the syntax for the definition of the getpos function.
- remove your point type definition.
- replace uses of your type point with the Win32 API type POINT.
- replace the call to GetMousePos with GetCursorPos.
- decide what you want to return from getpos: the x coordinate, the y coordinate or both and change getpos definition to suit.

Hope this helps and please, please, please do not use me to spot typos in your code (I have enough of my own <g>). And lookup the Win32 SDK functions and types you wish to use in the Microsoft developer documentation - the MS Developer Network Library which if you do not have a copy to hand can be found online at http://msdn.microsoft.com/ specifically at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/. Finally you might wish to get yourself a good book on Windows programming such as "Programming Windows" by Charles Petzold.  

C++

Ralph McArdell