C++/Global Objects Creation Priority

Question
Hi Ralph,

I have two objects defined in global namespace:
ICString glb_ProgBuildDate(SOME_AUTOCONF_MACRO);
ICLogFile glb_Log(stderr);

the problem here is ICString, whose code uses glb_Log for printing profiling and debugging info, so I would like to know, is there some way to initialize glb_Log first, or may be it is better way to define all global data as pointers, and initialize all such objects in main()?

I'm on gcc 4.0.1 / linux

Any help appreciated.

Answer
OK. There is _no_ way to order the initialisation of global objects (i.e. non-local static objects). There are _no_ guarantees what so ever on what order non-local static objects are created. The order can differ between build tools, different versions of the same build tools, different installations of the same tools and even from one build to the next as the project progresses. I have first hand experience of this problem and can confirm how fragile any code that relies on a specific ordering of non-local static object initialisation can be. This is particularly true of non-local static objects defined in different compilation units. You can expect that a compiler may initialise non-local static objects within one translation unit (i.e. source file) in some predictable fashion, most obviously in the order they are defined. When the objects are in different translation units things become more complex in fact so complex it is halting problem difficult.

On the other hand there are guarantees on when static local objects are constructed: when the function and code block they are in is first executed. This leads us to a work around. Move each global object into its own function, defined as static. Each function returns a reference to the object:

ICString & glb_ProgBuildDate()
{
   static ICString progBuildDate(SOME_AUTOCONF_MACRO);
   return progBuildDate;
}

ICLogFile & glb_Log()
{
   static ICLogFile log(stderr);
   return log;
}

Now everywhere you use glb_ProgBuildDate you replace it with glb_ProgBuildDate() and each use of glb_Log becomes glb_Log(). Of course if you feel you should modify the names further then do so, maybe to something like theProgBuildDate() and theLog(). This technique is sometimes called the Singleton Pattern and works so long as there is a reasonable initialisation order. If progBuildDate must be initialised before log and log must be initialised before progBuildDate then nothing is going to help and you should take a long hard look at your design!

For a fuller exposition on this subject see Scott Meyers book "Effective C++" I think it is up to the 3rd edition. In my second edition copy the item you want is "Item 47: Ensure that non-local static objects are initialised before they're used".

Note that the above idiom helps with the order of static object initialisation but does nothing for the order of static object destruction. If you have dependencies here then you need a more complex approach. For one such approach, see Andrei Alexandrescu's book "Modern C++ Design Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied", in particular chapter 6 "Implementing Singletons", although you will probably find reading at least some of the initial chapters of use in understanding where Andrei is coming from.

On a final note: remember the old advice that global data is a bad thing, so try to keep it to a minimum.  

C++

Ralph McArdell