C++/Learning MFC

Hello there,

I am new to C++ programming and i am taking my second class in it. My question was "What steps do i need to take in order to learn MFC?" Usually people who have learnt a certain subject know of a good way to approch it.

My 'expertise' in C++ is upto functions/arrays and don't know much beyond that. What would recommend as the right steps to take inorder to master MFC. I mean what i need to know before even thinking of MFC and then taking it beyond that point.

I really appreciate your help and expertise.

KalluMama, Thank you for your question.

In order to learn MFC, you should write programs. It doesn't matter what they do, just make something up. Make a program that accepts mouse input and shows the result in a window and can save and read such images. In fact, there is already a tutorial for such a program, called Scribble, in the MSDN Library (Visual C++ Help file). You can follow along in the tutorial while you learn the basics of MFC.

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science