C++/Since only one copy of each method is stored, what is the difference between static methods and normal methods?

Question

Nice to see you again! my question is:

Since only one copy of each method is stored, what is the difference between static methods and normal methods?

Thanks,
lzzzz

Answer
Hello again.

I shall assume that by 'method' you mean 'member function' and shall ignore inline functions.

There is no real difference in the two except that instance member functions ('normal methods') arrange to have the class instance associated with each call. The usual way - and only way in use that I am aware of - is to provide a hidden function parameter for the this pointer. So under the hood the compiler generates code that passes the this pointer into the member function for instance member functions. As static member functions are not associated with specific instances of a class they have no this pointer and so do not need a hidden this pointer parameter.

So when you say something like:

class C
       {
       public:
         void operation();
         void const_operation() const;
       };

The signature of the C::operation() member function generated by the compiler would conceptually look like:

void C::operation( C * this );

and for C::const_operation() like so:

void C::const_operation( C const * this );

Calling one of these member functions on a C instance thus:

C c;
       c.operation();

is like calling a function called C::operation and passing in a pointer to the object thus:

C c;
       C::operation( &c );

In fact this is similar to code that might be generated by a compiler that compiles C++ to C code which is then compiled using a C compiler to object code - although very simplified. One major difference would be in the naming of C::operation - some compiler specific name mangling scheme would be used to associate the class name, the function name, the member function qualifiers (const and volatile) and the function parameter types and maybe other stuff. For an example of the types of things a compiler considers when mangling names from your code see for example http://www.codesourcery.com/cxx-abi/abi.html, section 5.1 External Names (a.k.a Mangling).  

C++

Ralph McArdell