C++/Since only one copy of each method is stored, what is the difference between static methods and normal methods?

Question

Since only one copy of each method is stored, what is the difference between static methods and normal methods?

Thanks,
lzzzz

Answer
Hello lzzzz, thank you for the question.

Static methodsdo not have a "this" pointer. That is the primary major difference. This means that theoretically, you could invoke a static method from a class while the invoking object is NULL and it won't crash, as long as you do not manipulate any member data of the class. Of course, I've only seen this done on one compiler and on my specific CPU and operating system, but it is feasible.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesistate to ask.

I hope this information was helpful.

- Eddie

C++

Eddie