C++/Software used for C++ programming

Hi, I am a novice to c++ programming. Currently I use "Turbo C" to practice programming.But I always get an error saying that "IOstream.h" is missing. what can I do?
Can you recommend any other software (free ware or trial ware) which I can use?
Thank you very much for your time.

What I received is that you are using "Turbo C" not "Turbo C++" (Turbo C plus plus). This implies that you either mistyped the name of the compiler you are using (or it was corrupted when posted through AllExperts - the + (plus) symbol is used as a special character in web pages and has to be properly escaped to be posted and AllExperts seem to do this on a trial and error basis when someone notices that a + (plus) symbol is missing) or you are confused about the difference between C and C++.

Firstly assuming it was not a mistype or corruption and you are using a C compiler:

C and C++ are not the same beasts. C++ is largely compatible with C (in fact the C 1990 ISO/ANSI standard, the updated C 1999 ISO/ANSI standard added some features not compatible with C++), but adds many additional features to support various other programming paradigms - namely object oriented and generic programming - in addition to the procedural and modular styles supported by C.

Hence it is not to be expected that a C compiler ship with C++ only library components such as the C++ IOStreams library - they cannot be used with C as they will use at least some C++ only features.

Assuming it was a mistype (or corruption) and you are using a C++ compiler:

I am not sure what the error implies from your description. Saying it is missing could mean that you did not include it (at the beginning of the source file):

#include <iostream.h>

Note the use of all lowercase letters in the header name. This is correct for all C and C++ standard library header file names. It does not matter too much on case insensitive file systems like those used with Microsoft systems but does for those used with other systems such as UNIX or Linux systems: <IOStream.h> and <iostream.h> refer to two different files on such systems. Also note the use of < and >. These tell the compiler that the header is a system (or language library) header rather than a user project header (in which case we would use an include directive of the form #include "myheader.h").

Alternatively it could mean that you tried to include it but the compiler was unable to locate it. There are two reasons I can think of for this.

The first possibility is that you have not set up your build environment to allow the compiler to locate the header file. For example it is common to specify directories to search for include files by setting some environment variable with the include files paths. As an example if you are using MS-DOS or setting up the build environment from within a DOS box or command console you might put the following in a batch file that is executed before you start to build your project (e.g. autoexec.bat for MS-DOS):

Or if you are using a modern Windows system you could set it using a dialog. In Windows XP for example this is the Environment Variables dialog from System Properties accessed via a button at the bottom of the Advanced tab.

You can also often specify additional include paths on the compiler command line.

To see how to you do these things for your compiler you should consult the compiler documentation.

The other reason I can think of is because you do not have the file installed or it is misspelt (for example you #include <iostrem.h>).

One reason it may not be installed is because the compiler is only supplied with standard C++ library headers. All such headers have _no_ .h extension. This differs from "traditional" pre-standard C++ library headers where they all tended to have a .h extension. So the C++ standard compliant name for the "traditional" iostream.h header is just iostream:

#include <iostream>

Note that they are also often referred to as just "headers" and not "header files". This is linked to the reason the .h was removed from the name. It was thought that as the contents of the headers were standard a compiler could have this knowledge built into it. Including a particular standard header would mean that the compiler add the definitions and declarations for that header into the compilation data directly from its internal knowledge of such things. I do not know of a compiler that takes advantage of this possibility though!

Of course it could be a combination of the factors I have mentioned.

As to other software, what software were you after?

Many free development tools and libraries can be found from the Freecountry web site at Free C++ compilers can be found at Of particular interest if you use a modern version of MS Windows are Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express (see and the Bloodshed Dev-C++ development environment and the Mingw32 C and C++ Compilers and (see and

As a Turbo C (or C++) person you might be interested in the new Turbo C++ Explorer (see - if you are not using this already!

Note that some of these might require quite a bit of hard disk space (maybe > 1GB).

If you cannot find what you are looking for from the Freecountry site then I suggest you perform a search of the Internet for what you are after using a search site such as Google ( or Yahoo (  

Ralph McArdell

I am a software developer with more than 15 years C++ experience and over 25 years experience developing a wide variety of applications for Windows NT/2000/XP, UNIX, Linux and other platforms. I can help with basic to advanced C++, C (although I do not write just-C much if at all these days so maybe ask in the C section about purely C matters), software development and many platform specific and system development problems.

My career started in the mid 1980s working as a batch process operator for the now defunct Inner London Education Authority, working on Prime mini computers. I then moved into the role of Programmer / Analyst, also on the Primes, then into technical support and finally into the micro computing section, using a variety of 16 and 8 bit machines. Following the demise of the ILEA I worked for a small company, now gone, called Hodos. I worked on a part task train simulator using C and the Intel DVI (Digital Video Interactive) - the hardware based predecessor to Indeo. Other projects included a CGI based train simulator (different goals to the first), and various other projects in C and Visual Basic (er, version 1 that is). When Hodos went into receivership I went freelance and finally managed to start working in C++. I initially had contracts working on train simulators (surprise) and multimedia - I worked on many of the Dorling Kindersley CD-ROM titles and wrote the screensaver games for the Wallace and Gromit Cracking Animator CD. My more recent contracts have been more traditionally IT based, working predominately in C++ on MS Windows NT, 2000. XP, Linux and UN*X. These projects have had wide ranging additional skill sets including system analysis and design, databases and SQL in various guises, C#, client server and remoting, cross porting applications between platforms and various client development processes. I have an interest in the development of the C++ core language and libraries and try to keep up with at least some of the papers on the ISO C++ Standard Committee site at