C++/Visual C error

Question
hi..
I'm working with visual c   since a short period specailly with windows programming and I'm programming a code for simple window design but the following error occur:
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __stdcall WindowFunc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WindowFunc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
can you please show me what to do

Answer
Possibly. I cannot say for sure but can give some general advice and make a more specific guess at your problem.

General advice:
------------------
This is a linker error. The linker (which links all the individual modules of a program together) cannot find the item named in the error message in the object files and libraries (.obj and .lib files) used to link together into an executable. However the item named in the error message was referred to from one or more other modules and is needed so as to be able to complete the creation of an executable.

Note: the details of which object and library file names are passed to the linker may not be obvious if you are using a project inside an IDE such as Visual Studio. You should check carefully the project settings or properties.

So, provide the linker with a compiled definition for the unresolved function symbol (i.e. the function WindowFunc). That is, link against the library or object code file containing the definition of this function. If you have not written it then write it and ensure it is compiled and the name of the associated .obj (or .lib) file is added to the list of files to be used by the linker (if it is not already listed).

More specific advice:
------------------------
My guess is that WindowFunc is the name of a Windows window message handling callback function, which you either have not written or not linked against (maybe you placed it into a source file and forgot to add this source file to the project files). You may even have declared this function then forgotten to implement it, thus:

#include <Windows.h>

LPCTSTR WindowClassName = TEXT("AppMainWndClass");

//###############################################

// WindowFunc callback declared here.
// Defined (implemented) elsewhere...

LRESULT CALLBACK WindowFunc
( HWND hwnd
,  UINT uMsg
,  WPARAM wParam
,  LPARAM lParam
);

ATOM InitApp( HINSTANCE  hInstance )
{
   WNDCLASSEX wndClass;
   wndClass.cbSize = sizeof( WNDCLASSEX );
   wndClass.cbClsExtra = 0;
   wndClass.cbWndExtra = 0;
   wndClass.hCursor = NULL;
   wndClass.hIcon = NULL;
   wndClass.hIconSm = NULL;
   wndClass.lpszMenuName = NULL;
   wndClass.style = 0;
   wndClass.hbrBackground =
         reinterpret_cast<HBRUSH>(COLOR_WINDOW);
   wndClass.lpfnWndProc = WindowFunc;
   wndClass.lpszClassName = WindowClassName;
   wndClass.hInstance = hInstance;
   return ::RegisterClassEx( &wndClass );
}

// Etc...

In the above code I have declared that somewhere there is a WindowFunc callback to be used to handle messages for windows of the WindowClassName class. However if there is nowhere in the code that defines the WindowFunc function then obviously it cannot be used (called or have its address taken). The line:

wndClass.lpfnWndProc = WindowFunc;

takes the address of the WindowFunc function.

When the linker comes to resolve this address however it cannot find the entry for the definition for the WindowFunc function (because it does not exist) and so fails to create an executable, issuing the unresolved external error message.

As mentioned above, as far as the linker is concerned not existing is the same as not being passed the file name of the object or library file containing the object code for the item in question.  

C++

Ralph McArdell