C++/Windows driver

How can I create a serial driver for windows? I want to write a driver that will provide a virtual serial port that will talk over the network with a server application.
It seems that this driver development for windows is like a hiden world.

Adrian , Thank you for your question.

No, driver development is not completely hidden, just poorly documented. You need to obtain the Device Driver Development Kit (DDK) from Microsoft.

Unless you have some prior experience, you will have some significant learning to do. The easiest approach is to buy a book on device driver development.

You can search Microsoft's MSDN Library at

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science