C++/Can I ask you what is 'software development process'?

Can I ask you what is 'software development process'? Because I find different books have different states, for example, three states as follows,
1/requirement, high level design, low level design,development, test, deployment
2/requirements, analysis & design, implementation,test
3/analysis, design, construction and testing

You can ask, however as it is not a C++ question I do not know if my answer will be any good.

I think you will find that the best way to look at this is “a software development process” rather than “the software development process”.

If you look at your three examples you will find they are really similar. Implementation and construction are really the same thing as far as I can tell. They all end in testing and all leave out deployment and maintenance – which is odd as maintaining a system often takes up most of the time in the long run.

You always have to start by defining the problem so you need to find out what it is that is needed – hence requirements. You then examine these to determine a solution – which is analysis I suppose. You then have to design the system – which can be further sub-divided if necessary as in your first example. Then you get to implementing (or constructing) the system, and testing it. Finally you have to deploy it, and then maintain and support it.

Many of these stages can happen iteratively (loops) and at different levels, rather than one after another – as in the old waterfall approach to software development. So you might get someway into the design then have to go back to check on some previously obscured requirement, or you have to back up to the high level design when in the low level design as you realise the high level design is flawed or incomplete.

Modern practices these days seem to use UML (Unified Modelling Language) and you can find out about it here: - as it has components for the various stages of a software development process.

Anyway I'm off for the week again as I am working away from home at the moment...  

Ralph McArdell

I am a software developer with more than 15 years C++ experience and over 25 years experience developing a wide variety of applications for Windows NT/2000/XP, UNIX, Linux and other platforms. I can help with basic to advanced C++, C (although I do not write just-C much if at all these days so maybe ask in the C section about purely C matters), software development and many platform specific and system development problems.

My career started in the mid 1980s working as a batch process operator for the now defunct Inner London Education Authority, working on Prime mini computers. I then moved into the role of Programmer / Analyst, also on the Primes, then into technical support and finally into the micro computing section, using a variety of 16 and 8 bit machines. Following the demise of the ILEA I worked for a small company, now gone, called Hodos. I worked on a part task train simulator using C and the Intel DVI (Digital Video Interactive) - the hardware based predecessor to Indeo. Other projects included a CGI based train simulator (different goals to the first), and various other projects in C and Visual Basic (er, version 1 that is). When Hodos went into receivership I went freelance and finally managed to start working in C++. I initially had contracts working on train simulators (surprise) and multimedia - I worked on many of the Dorling Kindersley CD-ROM titles and wrote the screensaver games for the Wallace and Gromit Cracking Animator CD. My more recent contracts have been more traditionally IT based, working predominately in C++ on MS Windows NT, 2000. XP, Linux and UN*X. These projects have had wide ranging additional skill sets including system analysis and design, databases and SQL in various guises, C#, client server and remoting, cross porting applications between platforms and various client development processes. I have an interest in the development of the C++ core language and libraries and try to keep up with at least some of the papers on the ISO C++ Standard Committee site at