C++/bout reverse text

Question
ok....i juz wanna ask u bout how to reverse the character,...dats all....ASAP.

Answer
I am sorry but your question makes no sense as it stands. You cannot reverse a character, unless you wish to reverse the order of the bit values that represent it. Did you mean to ask about reversing the order of characters in a string of characters? If so read on...

Please note that as I suspect this is an exercise I am not going to show much code.

If you think about a string as a number of blocks with letters on them (as children might play with) placed in a line then you can move each letter block (i.e. character) from the back of the line (i.e. string) to the front, working back down the line, or the other way around. Alternatively you can swap each character from the back with one from the front.

Which technique you use depends on whether the reversed string is to occupy the same space as the original or be a new string. If you are overwriting the original string with its reverse then swapping is the way to go. Otherwise write the characters of the new string by appending characters from the back of the original string, working your way toward the front of the original string.

Again the letter blocks analogy works quite well. If you have a line of blocks then swapping one block with another does not require more space, it just re-arranges the order of the letters. However of you look at each block in the line starting from the back of the line and place a block with the same letter as each one under the existing line, starting under the first block in the original line then the second etc. you build a new line of blocks with letters arranged in the reverse order of the original line of blocks.

Note that this shows a difference between real things and computers: in computers we tend to copy values rather than move them. So when I say append a character in one string to the end of another string what I really mean is append a character that is a _copy_ of the value of the character in the first string. The first string is not changed. On the other hand if I said append a letter block from one line of blocks to another line of blocks we would tend to pick up the block from the first line of blocks and move it to the end of the second line of blocks, changing the first line of blocks.

Luckily for us reversing the order of sequences of things such as strings of characters is so common that the C++ standard library has algorithms to do just this. They are called reverse and reverse_copy (or, more correctly std::reverse and std::reverse_copy as the names of most C++ standard library things are in the namespace std). The reverse algorithm reverses a sequence so the same sequence becomes reversed and reverse_copy makes a reversed copy of one sequence into another. We can use it with the standard C++ string like so:

#include <string>
   #include <algorithm>
   #include <iostream>

int main()
   {
       std::string theText
         ("The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog");

std::cout << "Original text: " << theText << '\n';

std::reverse( theText.begin(), theText.end() );

std::cout << "Reversed text: " << theText << '\n';
   }

Should you need to perform the reverse operation on a string without using library help then you will need to use a loop, calculate which character index values you need, what range of character indexes you need etc. For example if swapping values you only need to swap half the values in the string with the other half so looping from index 0 to less than half the string length will give the correct range and one set of index values to swap with. For each character index n, the index to swap with will be string length - n - 1. The - 1 is needed as C/C++ index from 0. So you swap character 0 with character string length - 1 (the last character's index), character 1 with character string length - 2 etc.

If you think about what I have written you should be able to write a string reversing program. However you will have to use your brain. Oh, and do not give up just because things do not work the first (or second or third) time. This is usual and is a good way to learn!  

C++

Ralph McArdell