C++/c++

Question
Does c++ work in same fashion on both windows and linux platform?
 If no,what are the differences.

Answer
In one sense this question is meaningless. C++ is a computer language and it exists as a set of requirements and the like that define it. The current definition is contained in the ISO/ANSI C++ standard - incorporating TC1 (TC means Technical Corrigenda - i.e. technical corrections). As such it is totally independent of any actual implementation - such as a C++ compiler.

So next let us move on to actual implementations - that is to C++ compilers and libraries. There are many C++ compilers, written by many people and organisations. Some are free, many cost money to buy the required licenses. Some run on only one or a related set of platforms (such as MS Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, CE etc..), others run on many platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Symbian, UN*X etc...). Many compilers have history - they exist in several versions. Each compiler's support for standard C++ varies. Some are better than others. Older compilers tend to support less of standard C++ than newer compilers or compiler versions. Some have non-standard features or extensions. Compilers are software - so they contain bugs.

The C++ standard also specifies the standard C++ library and this is another area where support may vary - there are several implementations and many compilers supply one (or sometimes two) variation(s). Sometimes the compiler creators write their own standard library implementation. Often they supply or modify an existing version. It is possible to switch to another standard C++ implementation for some compilers - which may be free (see for example STLPort http://www.stlport.org/) or may cost extra (see for example Dinkumware http://www.dinkumware.com/). In fact you could theoretically write your own implementation.

Generally compilers work in similar fashions. They are all command line tools - even though many wrap this up in a nice GUI application often called an IDE or Integrated Development Environment - which supports managing projects, editing code, building projects, and executing and debugging them all in one application.

Compilers all tend to either directly create object code files or create a second language file - usually C or assembler - that is then compiled or assembled to produce the object code files. After this all the object code files are linked together with each other and any library code by a tool called a linker or link loader to produce an executable.

Where they differ is in the names of the tools and the command line options and usage.

Other differences are related to additional tools, libraries and frameworks supplied with the product - Microsoft for example supply many additional libraries and frameworks - such as ATL and MFC to support Windows programming and also supply the Visual Studio IDE. In addition their compiler has many additional Microsoft and Windows only features to support things like COM programming and .NET managed code. Others such as the Comeau compiler supply the compiler, runtime support code and a standard library and nothing else. They do have a very C++ standard-compliant compiler however...

Now let's get down to cases. On Linux you will probably have some version of the GNU development tools - including GNU C++ - installed. The current 3.x.x versions I understand are quite good C++ implementations, getting better as they progress and they include their own implementation of the C++ standard library. The GNU tools support many varied platforms including Linux, various flavours of UN*X and MS Windows. You can get other compilers for Linux including ones from Borland, Comeau, Intel, and IBM.

Windows does not usually have a compiler installed. You have to obtain one. Most professional organisations use Microsoft's Visual C++ - currently part of the Visual Studio .NET 2003 product. However, there are many other MS Windows targeted compilers, including ones from GNU, Borland, Comeau, Intel and Metrowerks - with varying degrees of additional tools etc...

If you require further specific details then ask another question stating the implementations and version concerned.

C++

Ralph McArdell