C++/c++

Question
i dont know where and how to use static_cast<int>(   )
forexample:num-static_cast<int>(num)
plz help me,
best regards..

Answer
Well you really should not need to use static_cast<int>() for built in type conversions and promotions. This is because C++ allows arithmetic types to be converted from one to another or (slightly differently) one to be promoted to another.

Casting of values to other types should be avoided if at all possible. Although you do need casts occasionally, such code should be minimised and the use of a cast indicates something a bit dodgy is going on - so readers of such code should take care pay attention! You will note that the C++ casts are cumbersome and easy to find in code, this is by intent!

However many compilers like to issue warnings when data might be lost - such as when assigning an int to a char or a floating point value to an integer value, or the result may not what you might expect - as when mixing signed and unsigned values.

If you know such warnings are for operations that are both safe and necessary then you can usually suppress such warnings by casting the value to the required type. Take the following simple example:

double fpValue(123.0);
     int intValue;
     intValue = fpValue * fpValue;

The above code will most likely produce a warning along the lines that the assignment (the =) in the third line requires a conversion from double to int with a possible loss of data (fractional parts of the floating point value will be lost, plus the number may be too big or small to fit meaningfully into an int).
If we know the conversion is safe and/or exactly what we wanted then we should be able to suppress the warning using a static_cast to explicitly cast the right hand side value to an int:

double fpValue(123.0);
     int intValue;
     intValue = fpValue * fpValue;
     intValue = static_cast<int>(fpValue * fpValue);

Note that I have said both safe and necessary. If you were not aware that you had lost data or the results may not be as expected then you should look very carefully at the code to ensure you are doing what you intended, and if such lossy or dangerous conversions are not necessary, change the code to use types that either require no conversions or use lossless conversions instead - such as using a larger integer type or changing mixed signed/unsigned arithmetic to be all signed or all unsigned.
If they are necessary but could cause bad results for some values then ensure you fix the code to handle these cases if it does not do so already.
For example one common place I get warnings about mixed sign/unsigned comparisons is when using a for-loop. By reflex (i.e without really thinking) I use an int for the loop variable then the compiler points out I am checking this int against some unsigned integer type in the loop termination condition. Often this is when using values from elsewhere, such as sizes of things that return a size_t or other unsigned integer (after all what would the meaning of a negative size be?). In such cases you should really heed the warning and change the type of the loop variable to match the type of the loop termination value.  

C++

Ralph McArdell