C++/about c++

i am about to start to attemp to follow in my fathers foot steps as a c++ programmer, and was wondering what programs i would need to get started in c++ editing, also i wanted to know what are the capabilities of c++.

nick palmer, Thank you for your question.

C++ is a general purpose programming language. This means that it can be used for many different kinds of programming, ranging from calculating experimental results in physics experiments to recognizing human speech to displaying television on your home computer. The applications are almost limitless. In fact, the real limitations are not to be found in the programming language used to program a computer, but in the hardware connected to it and the real world beyond the hardware.

To learn to program in C++ you will need a compiler. It may be best to buy or download a complete "integrated development environment" containing a specialized text editor, the compiler, and other utilities such as a linker and debugger. Next, you will need to take a course in school or at least study one of the online tutorials (do a Web search to find these). As you study, build up test programs where you can experiment without anyone judging what you are doing. Gain confidence and have fun.

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science