C++/c++ and visual c++

Let me start off by saying my name is Dereck and
i begin college this summer at itt tech for software engineering.I am trying to get ahead of
the game by learning c++. now i own visual c++
.net 2003 along with visual studio .net 2003
enterprise architect.I have two questions.
first I know that visual c++ .net relates more
to windows and the .net platform but what are
the major it wise for me to use
vc++ .net to learn c++. and second what can i
do to get myself ready so i dont go into college
blind.What would you recommend.

Dereck , Thank you for your question.

I regret that I am unable to guide beginners in learning C++, both because of the volume of questions received and because I do not know of learning resources available on the Web or elsewhere. My expertise was developed over thirty-five years of programming and attending advanced classes; I never became familiar with beginners' resources.

As to how you should get ready for your college studies in programming, I suggest that you write simple programs, teaching yourself by looking up topics in the MSDN Library. You may also want to buy or borrow a book on Windows programming, such as the book by Charles Petzold. Writing simple programs will give you little problems to solve, and solving these will give you a very deep understanding of C++.

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science