C++/compiling C++ on redhat linux8.0

Question
dear sir,
i tried to compile a simple C++ program on my redhat linux8.0 box.
its not recognising 'cout' command.
is there any modification needed for compiling?
i used command...
1.g++ t.c++

my program t.c++
#include<iostream>
int main(){
  cout<<"hello";
  return 0;
}

could u explain me if any configuration is needed for system, before using g++ compiler?
thanks in advance.

Answer
I am not sure what your current configuration of the GNU C++ compiler is but I think it is probably fairly standard - is it a 3.x version?

If it is compiling your program and giving reasonable errors as it seems to be doing then it is working!

Assuming your g++ version/configuration is sticking fairly well to the C++ ISO/ANSI standard then your problem is that cout is _not_ in the global namespace. It is in the std namespace, along with the majority of the names in the C++ standard library.

Try replacing cout with std::cout to qualify that cout is in the namespace std.

You can also use using declarations or directives. A using declaration that is not a member declaration of a class brings a qualified name into the current 'declarative' scope. For example you could add:

using std::cout;

To main before you use cout. The effect is that cout is added as a synonym for std::cout to the whole of main, but not outside of main as this is outside the declarative scope in which the using declaration applies.

Alternatively you could use a using directive, which make the compiler look in the namespace the directive names for any unqualified names in addition to the usual places searched. For example you could place:

using namespace std;

Either in main or more commonly at the top of the source file _after_ any #include pre-processor directives.
Note that the using directive means all seen names in the named namespace will be located when an unqualified name is looked up - so you may be surprised if such names clash with any that your code declares - the compiler will give errors about ambiguities or redefinitions. For this reason you should probably avoid using directives, especially at file scope, except maybe when porting old C++ code that pre-dates the use of namespace std.

Personally I now usually just add the std:: prefix to C++ standard library names and be done with it - after a while you get used to it.

Finally you should _never_ place such using declarations or directives in an include file as they may change the meaning of other code depending on the order include files are included in source modules as they can change what entity a name refers to. This is also why they should appear after all #include directives. See http://www.gotw.ca/, specifically http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/053.htm (Migrating to Namespaces). Much of this article may be of interest, however the specific point about not placing using directives or declarations in header files appears in the solution to question 2, about a third or so down the article. I think the explanation in Herb Sutter's book "More Exceptional C++" is even better.  

C++

Ralph McArdell