C++/difference b/w c++/Visual c++

What is the difference between c++ and visaul c++? I know that c++ has the portability and all so if you know c++ how is it related to visual c++? Is visual c++ mostly for online apps? Would visual basic be better for desktop applications?  

Waqar , Thank you for your question.

The simple answer is: C++ is a programming language. Visual C++ is a program development environment, including a compiler for C++, sold by Microsoft.

Visual C++ is capable of compiling standard C++ (using an option in the Project Settings).

Whether you choose Visual C++ or Visual Basic for a project depends on many factors. If you are an experience programmer who wants control over what code is generated, use Visual C++. If you prefer the C++ programming language to the Basic programming language, use Visual C++ (or vice-versa). If you are a beginning programmer who wants to get the job done quickly, use Visual Basic. These are some, but not all, of the factors you should consider in making your choice.

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science