C++/How to display Arabic characters console application using

Dear Sir,

i tried to write a string of arabic characters and print it using cout in console application using Microsoft Visual C++.NET and there was not any type of error but when i executed the console application it displays rabbish characters instead arabic characters.I hope that you can help me.

Thanks in advance
Ahmad Al-Asmar

Ahmad Al-Asmar , Thank you for your question.

Your development and host systems must be set up to handle either multi-byte (MBCS) or 16-bit (Unicode) character I/O. In addition, you must have the correct Locale and Page set up.

I am not sure if anything other than this need be done in the program code.

I suggest that you post this question at, which is more advanced than

David Spector

David Spector

Highly knowledgeable in the C++ language, Visual C++ (MSVC), Windows API, documentation and other quality-assurance techniques, and debugging. Knowledgeable in MFC, COM, GUI design, and object-oriented design.

I have been a software engineer since 1965. I have been published. My specializations have been: biomedical programming, compiler implementation, and many kinds of Windows programming. I don't do Databases or other business-oriented stuff.

Windows?/DOS Developer's Journal, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and Computer Science Press.

ICCP Systems Programming Certification
Master's degree equivalent in Computer Science