C++/eval function from javascript in C++?

Question
is there something like the eval function from javascript in C++?

i remember dynamically creating variables in javascript using the eval function, i need to dynamically create variables in C++.
wait, or maybe i can just use string arrays, haha... why didn't I think of that?
oh well.
well if you do know, you don't have to give me any detailed explanations of it, just tell me the function and ill look it up in the c++ manual.

thank you very much

Answer
In this respect C++ is fundamentally different from Javascript, Java, or the .NET languages. It is a statically typed and compiled system - that means that all types, variables and the like are known to the compiler during compilation, and resolved during linking before an executable is produced.

You cannot dynamically create strings of code and have them executed at runtime. OK, if you wish to be picky you could write out a C++ source code file, execute the compiler to compile it, execute the linker to link it with the required libraries and produce a new executable, and then execute this executable, but I do not think this is what you want.

You have touched on a solution using string as the variable names. However note that even if you have the so-called variable as a string that it is still not something the program will know about. You will have to add the code to process and manipulate these variables. For example if you have the following:

"A=10; B=20; C=A+B"

You will have write all the code to process the string, associate "A" with "10" or 10 or 10.0 (string, integer or floating point type), B with "20" or 10 or 20.0 and C with "A+B" or 30 or 30.0 or maybe "30". To actually evaluate C=A+B you would have to write an expression parser and evaluator. So what you will end up with is your own little script or macro language.

On a practical note you might wish to associate the values of your script variables with their names using a map - the standard library has such a thing - in fact it is a class template - and is called std::map, and you should include the standard C++ header <map>. A map is an associative type - it associates a key with a value. In this case the key is the variable name and the value is the variable value.

If you have not come across the C++ standard library you might like to check out the online information at http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/ which covers a large part of it - specifically the things such as std::map. If your C++ development system does not come with a C++ standard library then check out http://www.stlport.org/ for a freely downloadable and usable version that can be used with a wide variety of compilers.

For further information I suggest some books.

For learning C++ coming from another language try "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo. I have not read it as I found out about it far too late, but I have seen it recommended for people such as yourself many times.

For a standard C++ library reference and tutorial I recommend "The C++ Standard Library - a tutorial and reference" by Nicolai M. Josuttis - my copy is one of my most referred to C++ books.

Another book by Koenig and Moo (which I have read!) has a nice example of dealing with arithmetic expressions in an object oriented way using C++ - the book is called "Rumination on C++" (see chapter 8 in particular). I am sure this is not only book to contain such an example. However the rest of this book is very good and provided me with much food for thought.  

C++

Ralph McArdell