C++/I found the answer to a question I asked earlier, and wanted to thank you for your help

I asked you a question earlier about loading modules using the DL library.

I did find the answer to my question, and the answer was actually in what you sent to me in the 'why-I-can't-answer-this-question' part of the reply :)  I actually didn't know that C++ mangled the functions when they were linked in order to support overloading; this is what caused the problem when I tried to call the function from the library.  Because it searched for the name of the symbol that I provided, and I assumed the name would be the same as the function as it appeared when I programmed it, it naturally couldn't find the symbol after the library was compiled and the name had been messed up.

If you're interested:
is where I found the answer along with a great tutorial on the subject.

I also wanted to thank you; I've asked 4 or 5 professors this question and they haven't had a clue :)  You, at least, made some suggestions that pointed me in the right direction :)  I was getting REALLY frustrated with the entire thing; this is a pretty common library, but nobody had anything about it other than its basic usage.

In any case, I'll let you get back to your weekend.  Thanks again!

Thanks for the information.
I rejected your question because until you asked I had not
looked into the UN*X dl API calls so was not sure of my facts. As such the information I gave may not have been up to quality...nice to know I hit the nail on the head this time!

I have had similar experiences else where - for example on Windows I have both the MS VC++ compiler and the Comeau C++ compiler. The latter is quite happy to call Windows C API  functions but cannot call C++ ones - such as when using the MS MFC DLLs provided by MS with their VC++ compiler as the way Comeau mangles the names is different to how the MS compiler does it! A solution, BTW, would be to re-build the MFC libraries from the MFC source code using the Comeau compiler.

Ralph McArdell

I am a software developer with more than 15 years C++ experience and over 25 years experience developing a wide variety of applications for Windows NT/2000/XP, UNIX, Linux and other platforms. I can help with basic to advanced C++, C (although I do not write just-C much if at all these days so maybe ask in the C section about purely C matters), software development and many platform specific and system development problems.

My career started in the mid 1980s working as a batch process operator for the now defunct Inner London Education Authority, working on Prime mini computers. I then moved into the role of Programmer / Analyst, also on the Primes, then into technical support and finally into the micro computing section, using a variety of 16 and 8 bit machines. Following the demise of the ILEA I worked for a small company, now gone, called Hodos. I worked on a part task train simulator using C and the Intel DVI (Digital Video Interactive) - the hardware based predecessor to Indeo. Other projects included a CGI based train simulator (different goals to the first), and various other projects in C and Visual Basic (er, version 1 that is). When Hodos went into receivership I went freelance and finally managed to start working in C++. I initially had contracts working on train simulators (surprise) and multimedia - I worked on many of the Dorling Kindersley CD-ROM titles and wrote the screensaver games for the Wallace and Gromit Cracking Animator CD. My more recent contracts have been more traditionally IT based, working predominately in C++ on MS Windows NT, 2000. XP, Linux and UN*X. These projects have had wide ranging additional skill sets including system analysis and design, databases and SQL in various guises, C#, client server and remoting, cross porting applications between platforms and various client development processes. I have an interest in the development of the C++ core language and libraries and try to keep up with at least some of the papers on the ISO C++ Standard Committee site at