C++/I found the answer to a question I asked earlier, and wanted to thank you for your help

Question
I asked you a question earlier about loading modules using the DL library.

I did find the answer to my question, and the answer was actually in what you sent to me in the 'why-I-can't-answer-this-question' part of the reply :)  I actually didn't know that C++ mangled the functions when they were linked in order to support overloading; this is what caused the problem when I tried to call the function from the library.  Because it searched for the name of the symbol that I provided, and I assumed the name would be the same as the function as it appeared when I programmed it, it naturally couldn't find the symbol after the library was compiled and the name had been messed up.

If you're interested:
http://www.isotton.com/howtos/C++-dlopen-mini-HOWTO/C++-dlopen-mini-HOWTO.html
is where I found the answer along with a great tutorial on the subject.

I also wanted to thank you; I've asked 4 or 5 professors this question and they haven't had a clue :)  You, at least, made some suggestions that pointed me in the right direction :)  I was getting REALLY frustrated with the entire thing; this is a pretty common library, but nobody had anything about it other than its basic usage.

In any case, I'll let you get back to your weekend.  Thanks again!

-Gilbert

Answer
Thanks for the information.
I rejected your question because until you asked I had not
looked into the UN*X dl API calls so was not sure of my facts. As such the information I gave may not have been up to quality...nice to know I hit the nail on the head this time!

I have had similar experiences else where - for example on Windows I have both the MS VC++ compiler and the Comeau C++ compiler. The latter is quite happy to call Windows C API  functions but cannot call C++ ones - such as when using the MS MFC DLLs provided by MS with their VC++ compiler as the way Comeau mangles the names is different to how the MS compiler does it! A solution, BTW, would be to re-build the MFC libraries from the MFC source code using the Comeau compiler.

C++

Ralph McArdell