C++/about header files in c/c++

Question
How can I define user defined header file?

Answer
First write the source code you require in the header file and store it in some project related directory. Ensure that the compiler knows about this directory by setting the include path (e.g. for many compilers this is done using the -I or /I compiler command line switch, or if you are using an integrated development environment (IDE), by setting it in the project settings).

To have the compiler (or more strictly, the C/C++ pre-processor) include the text of the header file in your source code, place a pre-processor #include directive in the C/C++ source code files that require it at the point you want the header file text included:

#include "myheader.h"

Effectively the contents of the header myheader.h will be injected into the source file at the point where the #include directive appears.

If you specify some project include directory and then store headers in sub-directories below this directory then you can include the directory path from that point in the #include directive. So for example if we placed the myheader.h file in directory (on a UN*X or Linux system) /home/me/the_project/include/subdir and we told the compiler pre-processor to look for included files in /home/me/the_project/include the we can include myheader.h like so:

#include "subdir/myheader.h"

Compilers tend to accept the path in local format but most also accept paths in UNIX format as well (as I used above). On a MS Windows system this could have been:

#include "subdir\myheader.h"

How a compiler interprets the header file name or path name and how it uses it to locate the header file is 'implementation-defined' meaning it is up to each individual compiler to sort out. I have mentioned common methods such as a -I or /I command line switches to specify paths to search for header files.  

C++

Ralph McArdell