C++/Why must variables be declared before it is used, but not methods?

Question

Why must variables be declared before it is used, but not methods?

Thanks for your help,
lzzzz

Answer
Wrong. In C++ functions and variables have to be declared before use. They need not be defined however. In C++ you can declare something as many times as you like but you can only define it once (the one definition rule). In C for functions first use (call) of a function determined its signature and hopefully this matched the actual signature. However C has no function overloading which means it could just use the name for the function as a signature and hope the parameters are correct...

In C++ which function is called is determined by the arguments and which is picked is a tricky affair so you have to declare a function before it is used or rather before it can be considered for use.

In most cases in C++ defining something also declares it. So:

void funct();

is a function declaration.

void funct()
{
// code...
}

is a function definition and declaration quite probably in an implementation source file totally separate from most callers of the function.

extern int GlobalVariable;

is a variable declaration.

int GlobalVariable(234);

is a variable definition which also declares it. In the case of variables or objects only declarations for global variables having external linkage makes sense. Locals and global statics (having internal linkage) always have definitions as they are always used in the same compilation unit (i.e. source file) they are defined in.

The compiler needs enough information to perform operations on the things you use in your code. How much information is required depends on the use. For a variable the compiler needs to know what storage to assign and how to initialise the object (for class types of course this is which constructor to call). For items such as global variables and non-static functions (note: this includes static class member functions) that have external linkage the compiler only needs a declaration it is assumed the linker will resolve the external references to such items replacing them with the actual function or variable reference. This assumes that somewhere each such external item  has a definition and only one definition and that it is presented to the linker when linking your code to create an executable.

I am sure I ranted on at length about the differences between declarations and definitions in a reply some time ago to you. Please go and look it up and get the difference straight in you mind it is useful to do so!

Note this is a simplistic answer and does not take into account complexities created by the likes of inline function definitions and class and function template specialisations.

Now if you will excuse me I have to do a load of paperwork...Sunday is _not_ a good time to ask me questions if you want very long answers as I simply do not have the time.  

C++

Ralph McArdell