C++/opening excel and creating a graph with c++

Question
I have a text file with a list of values that I would like to display as a graph using a simple console application. I have thought of automating Excel using my console application but I'm stuck with then using it to create an Excel graph. Or is there another simple way of opening a graph of my values using a simple c++ console application?

Answer
I am sorry but I am confused. Your question’s subject:

"opening excel and creating a graph with c++"

Implies that you are _only_ interested in using Excel to plot a graph.

Your question however ends up asking:

"is there another simple way of opening a graph of my
    values using a simple c++ console application? "

Having just complained about having to create a graph in Excel, do you still wish to be using Excel? If so I am afraid that the term simple may not apply as you will have to use the Excel automation interface to do what you wish.

That is _not_ a (standard) C++ topic, it is a Microsoft Excel and Microsoft automation / COM topic. I suggest you refer to the relevant Microsoft documentation to find out about these subjects. Start with the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) site at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/. However note that the Office developer documentation is most complete for the current version of Office – that is Office 2007. You might like to perform a search (on the MSDN site or generally on the internet) such as:

excel C++ automation

The first article listed from an MSDN site search is at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196776/ and is titled "Office Automation Using Visual C++". It looks like it may be a good starting point (note that some language features it mentions such as #import are non-standard C/C++, being Microsoft Visual C++ specific).

The part which may be purely standard C++ is opening and reading a file, however as you mention that you have an application already I presume you can probably handle this side of things.

If you are using Microsoft Visual C++ then you may like to look at the ATL library and the Office development resources.  

C++

Ralph McArdell