C++/problem with pointer and string constant

Question
main(){
char *ptr="hello world";
char arr[]="hello world";
*(ptr+1)='x';//it does not work
 *(arr+1)='x'; //but it works why??
}

Answer
Note: you are asking this in a C++ section so I am answering assuming you are writing C++. If you are writing C then please ask an expert in the C language section.

In fact it is possible neither will do what you require. String literals have type array of n const char. Note that const specification in there - the characters of the string literal are CONSTANT meaning YOU SHOULD NOT CHANGE THEM. I do not usually 'shout' but this point bears emphasising. Usually const means you cannot assign it to a less qualified type - i.e. a type associated to non const char. However there is an exception for narrow (char) string literals so as to enhance C++ compatibility with C. This language feature is depreciated by the way.

One reason you are likely to get into trouble is because the compiler and/or linker are free to share string literal memory to save space - so all literal strings of "hello world" could refer to a single copy. Or they might not. It depends on the compiler, linker and the options and setting used. This point is made explicitly in the C++ standard, section 2.13.4 paragraph 2 reads:

"2 Whether all string literals are distinct
         (that is, are stored in non-overlapping
         objects) is implementation-defined. The
         effect of attempting to modify a string
         literal is undefined."

So what happens when you attempt to modify a string literal is undefined - that is anything could happen from not doing what you expect, crashing, or even formatting your hard disk (unlikely though allowed by the standard!).

By the way the code compiled under both MS VC++ 8 (2005) on Windows XP and g++ 4.0.2 on SuSE Linux 10.0, note however that the definition of main should be either:

int main() { /* ... */ }

or

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { /* ... */ }

Hope this helps.

C++

Ralph McArdell