C++/virtual descructor

Question
Suppose you have a C++ base class and several classes that inherit from it. What might happen if you do not write a virtual destructor for the base class?  

Answer
The quick answer is that instances of derived types can be improperly destroyed if they are deleted through pointers to their base class. If such instances hold onto resources such as memory or file handles then these might not be released back to the system and are therefore lost (leaked).

However a virtual base class destructor can be trivial if there is nothing for it to do:

class Base
   {
   public:

// ...

virtual ~Base() {}

// ...

};

The above virtual destructor is trivial, virtual and inline. There are issues with functions (destructors are just special functions) that are both virtual and inline. Making them virtual requires that they have an address at which they can be called so that polymorphism can work. However for inlined functions the compiler places the code within the function inline at the point where the call is made (more like a #define macro that has proper compiler checking). So the compiler will definitely ignore you inline choice (in C++ your choice to inline a function is only ever taken as a hint by the compiler), and create a real (out of line) function anyway to support polymorphic usage cases. However the compiler may choose to inline a virtual function in usage cases where it can determine exactly which function to call at compiler time.

The other option is not to define the destructor inline:

class Base
   {
   public:

// ...

virtual ~Base();

// ...

};

Then elsewhere:

Base::~Base()
   {
   }

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0600/c/ for more on this subject.

Getting back to the main topic, a classic example uses a widget types. Widget is a term used for GUI elements such as edit boxes, push buttons, list boxes and the like.

For this example I refer to two specific widget types: ListBox and Picture, both of which are derived from a general Widget base class.

For this example suppose that a dialog (or dialog box) is a collection of widgets (or it owns such a collection). The collection of widgets would probably contain pointers to instances of the specific widgets on the dialog stored as Widget pointers (Widget*). When the dialog is destroyed each Widget in the collection is also destroyed by having delete called on each of the Widget pointers.

If Widget did _not_ have a virtual destructor then only the Widget destructor Widget::~Widget will be called, which will only do the general base Widget cleanup. If the specific type of a particular Widget were say a ListBox then the objects used for the list data would not be deleted. If it were a Picture widget that displayed a bitmap on the dialog then the memory that made up the bitmap would not be released, which could potentially be a large amount of memory.

If Widget has a virtual destructor then when a Widget pointer is used to delete a Widget the specific type of Widget's destructor is called, Listbox::~ListBox if it refers to a ListBox widget or Picture::~Picture if it refers to a Picture widget, which gives the specific widgets the chance to properly clean up and release any resources they hold.

For background information see the C++ FAQ at http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/, specifically section 20, inheritance basics, section 11, destructors and section 9, inline functions. In fact you might like to read through the whole of the FAQ before posting further questions as it is likely that most of your questions will be answered by the FAQ!  

C++

Ralph McArdell