C++/visual basic 6 vs borland C++

I am curently using visual basic 6 in corporation with microsoft access. I want to know any alternative solutions why I would chose C++ instead of visual basics. what would be the disadvantage of using borland C++ to visual basic and what are the advantages.
in my system i am currently on the design stage and have not yet implemented the system. visual basic 6 has text boxes that when i enter data into the visual basic page it is automatically stored in the database.

First I am not qualified to remark on Borland specific features such as how good their GUI IDE (integrated development environment) or Borland specific C++ libraries or frameworks as I do not use the Borland C++ product.

I can think of no reason for you to change if you are content with the VB6 solution you are currently using. Reasons to change may vary but may include better control over the application VB sits between your application and the operating systems and I have found some things tricky in VB if they stepped outside of the VB supported feature set oh, and I think the VB IDE has problems with multi-threaded applications.

In general GUI work is a pain in C++ - and is easier in languages like VB which are designed to get quick results with GUI / data client applications. C++ is a general purpose language designed to produce executables for applications of all types that run on a wide variety of hardware and operating systems of all sorts. A such it has no GUI support as standard so you have to rely on other libraries and frame works - either those supplied with the development systems such as the MS MFC or ATL which are Windows specific and largely MS specific (although Borland did licence and supply a version of the MFC with one of their older compiler releases) or obtain them from elsewhere (such as Qt or WxWidgets).

On the other hand I would choose C++ for system level or server applications such as operating system components or database servers for example, or for projects that are to run across varying platforms although for many applications Java is also a popular choice for cross platform applications. Remember that MS specific languages only run on MS operating systems i.e. MS Windows of one flavour or another. Other niche areas are specific components that allow you to do things that are difficult to do with the likes of VB6 for example, but you use with VB6.

Another often overlooked problem when choosing tools and development languages is what do the team know? If you have a team of VB6 developers then changing to C++ is going to be a _big_ shock to them. If take time to get to grips with any language and C++ quite probably takes more than many as it is such a large language with many good features, and a great deal of power. However that power comes with responsibility it is easy to shoot yourself in the foot with C++ and often the compiler cannot warn you.  

Ralph McArdell

I am a software developer with more than 15 years C++ experience and over 25 years experience developing a wide variety of applications for Windows NT/2000/XP, UNIX, Linux and other platforms. I can help with basic to advanced C++, C (although I do not write just-C much if at all these days so maybe ask in the C section about purely C matters), software development and many platform specific and system development problems.

My career started in the mid 1980s working as a batch process operator for the now defunct Inner London Education Authority, working on Prime mini computers. I then moved into the role of Programmer / Analyst, also on the Primes, then into technical support and finally into the micro computing section, using a variety of 16 and 8 bit machines. Following the demise of the ILEA I worked for a small company, now gone, called Hodos. I worked on a part task train simulator using C and the Intel DVI (Digital Video Interactive) - the hardware based predecessor to Indeo. Other projects included a CGI based train simulator (different goals to the first), and various other projects in C and Visual Basic (er, version 1 that is). When Hodos went into receivership I went freelance and finally managed to start working in C++. I initially had contracts working on train simulators (surprise) and multimedia - I worked on many of the Dorling Kindersley CD-ROM titles and wrote the screensaver games for the Wallace and Gromit Cracking Animator CD. My more recent contracts have been more traditionally IT based, working predominately in C++ on MS Windows NT, 2000. XP, Linux and UN*X. These projects have had wide ranging additional skill sets including system analysis and design, databases and SQL in various guises, C#, client server and remoting, cross porting applications between platforms and various client development processes. I have an interest in the development of the C++ core language and libraries and try to keep up with at least some of the papers on the ISO C++ Standard Committee site at