C++/I want to do the following: -...

I want to do the following:
- Import .MAX/.3DS file along with all its animation details
- To paint the faces sequentially with a time delay
- Iwant to do this in linux using OpenGL in c++
how do i do it?  

Hello venky, thank you for the question.

This task is a difficult one. First thing you're going to want to do is research how the data is stored in a .max/.3ds file. Once you know what's in those file types, you can start parsing and sifting through all the binary data and pull out the information you want. I myself have never worked with 3d Studio before, I was always a MAYA person, but I assume it does animation about the same. It basically takes "snapshots" of the object being animated at set key frames. Herein lies another problem, you are going to have to write your own interpolation mechanism in code to animate the object in your application. Also, an in depth knowledge of OpenGL would be required to properly render the object. With the use of triangle strips and vertex arrays to make sure everything is rendered quickly.

I would highly suggest using an open source product called Cal3D. It is written in both OpenGL and Direct3D, is entirely open source, and is also cross platform between Linux and Windows. If you download Cal3D, you will have reference material for any time you get stuck coding your project. It is a great tool for open source developers. It can be found here:

I hope this information was helpful.

- Eddie

I can answer questions about the C++ language, object oriented design and architecture. I am knowledgable in a lot of the math that goes into programming, and am certified by I also know a good deal about graphics via OpenGL, and GUIs.

I have completed numerous games and demos created with the C++ programming language. Currently employed as a software engineer in the modeling and simulation field. I have about 7 years experience.