C#/Algorithms for Database Backup and Restore Programs

Question
QUESTION: Dear Murat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database_management_system‎

There are Database Backup and restore utilities for RDBMS Systems.
The Backup program generates a (.Bak) Binary File as output which can later be restored in case the Database crashes.

What could be the Algorithm/s in database backup/s and restore programs ?. i.e. C/C++/C# Programming logic/Algorithm.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi there,

Most utilities are simply using sql commands to backup the database files. You can execute commands like "Backup Database" and "Restore Database" to achieve this (Talking about Microsoft SQL Server). Every rdbms has it's own backup and restore methods and these are mostly executable through command-line. So the best way would be preparing the command-line arguments and simply run inside your application. For example in MSSQL, you would run sqlcmd.exe with prepared arguments to create a backup or restore.

Hope that helps,

Murat

QUESTION: Dear Murat

Thank you.

I would like to know the programming logic / algorithm for the Database backup and Database Restore program. i.e. pseudo code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocode‎

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi back,

Here are the detailed methods of backup and restore for SQL Server, which they used directly assemblies and not command-line:
CodeProject.com

Hope that helps,

Murat

C#

Murat Mehmet