C#/C# chart controls

I am creating a chart form and trying to create a chart object that keeps giving me error

" Error   8   The type or namespace name 'Chart' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

with the following line

"private System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.Chart chart1;"

i am trying to create chart1 as an object of chart.
i have done a bit of searching and another syntax available has form of

"System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.ChartArea chartArea1 = new System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.ChartArea();"

i am using vs 2012 .NET 4.5
i created a form by dragging and dropping chart control from toolbox which automatically generated the second syntax but when i try the same code its an error, plus while writing my code vs 2012 prompts for "...Charting.Utilities" and never shows "ChartArea" as an option.
but when i drag and drop that time it works fine.

please do help me i am fixed.

Hi there,

Check if you have reference to System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization. If you don't have it, add it and it will work fine. If you have it, ensure your project's .Net version is 4 or 4.5. Go to project properties and see Target Framework to confirm it. (Even you pointed that you use 4.5, please re-confirm it, mistakes may happen)

Hope that helps,

Murat Mehmet

I can help with questions about desktop and web programming in C#, including SOAP, XML, database managing, custom controls, security etc.

I have been developing web and especially desktop applications in C# and VB.Net for almost 5 years. My programming life has begun with VB6 long time ago, so its about 8 years that I am in this business.

Was in R & D for 2 years in a popular Turkish technology website:

2011 Computer Engineering graduation in University of Trakia in Turkey.