CPR/Basic Life Support/Dry Drowning

Peter Ruffu wrote at 2013-01-31 06:02:39
I am the expert on drowning prevnetion.  All information concerning drowning should be towards PREVENTION.  The current article is presented as fact.  It is based on factual responses but it is a series of conjecture for reasoned explanation of dry drowning.  The safest conjecture is the one that leads to the greatest reduction of drowning.  The technical explanation is confusing at best.  The answer to the direct question is that underwater unconsciousness leads to drowning.  That is not what you are experiencing.  Your doctor is the only one that can answer your question.  On the drowning issue the demarkation point for active inhaling of water is unconsciousness.  You MUST assume that is what is occurring everytime.  Once unconsious take the breathing rate and size, the rate will be very fast and the size very large, to estimate how long it will take to fill the lungs too the degree that survival is not possible.  The answer is basically 10 seconds.  It takes 45 to 60 seconds to pass out.  Do not introduce the extreme ranges of possiblity and do not present any processes as proven, keep it simple.  Since almost all are wet drownings and the dry drownings are corrected with cpr the cause of drownings is the basis for ending drownings.  This is where everyone, and I mean as a community everyone must be taught how to prevent drowning, must be involved. Kids that know how to swim DO NOT DROWN LESS OFTEN THAN NON SWIMMERS. The top two reasons children drown is because the experts(AMA) know that swimming does not increase safety but the general public believes that it does and life guards and parents that are pool watchers at partys have no idea how a child in trouble behaves in the 1 minute before passing out or that 10 seconds is enough time for an unconsious child drown. The previous article sites the exceptions but never defines how most drownings occur.  I am the expert on that and here is the solution.  Pay this forward to everyone you know.  Do NOT try to evaluate if a child needs help.  The standard is simple: if the childs head is under the water then stop and stare.  Start to count, if you get to eight, don't hesitate, save that child, they are drowning.  This is the count to eight, prevent a drowning campaign. Count to eight, don't be late, prevent a drowning! If a childs head is under water then stop and stare, if you get to eight, don't hesitate, save that child they are drowning!  The typical time a child will keep his head under water is less than six seconds.  There is almost never any arm flailing, splashing or crying out or even frantic movement.  The head under water for 8 seconds is the only sign you need to reduce the 50 percent of all drownings that occur at pool partys with pool watchers.  I am Peter Ruffu and I teach this fast simple and extremely effective approach for only one reason, to end the tragedy with thirty seconds of knowledge. I also teach a program that makes kids automatically save themselves in the water by training out the deadly normal response, panic and wait for mom, while creating an excellent swim skill.  I guarntee two things, no child ever fails and every parent can afford the program.  For clarity that last statement means I give scholarships to EVERY student that needs one, including full scholarships.  For your reviewer I will give my website and suggest you contact me and verify my expertise and then list me as the leading expert on drowning prevention.  

Sincerely, Peter Ruffu, crewsswimming.com

CReWS(Conditioned Response Water Safety) Swimming and Safety

CPR/Basic Life Support

Jolean Wheeler

As a licensed emergency medical technician I am glad to speak with you and answer any questions you may have. It is my personal goal to help in an extremely timely manner and with the utmost clarity and detail. If I cannot personally answer your question I am positive I can connect you with people who specialize in your specific need.

I have been in the medical field for many years, both behind the scenes and on the front lines. I am not a doctor, nor do I claim to be one, I am just an Emergency Medical Technician who loves to help others and share my knowledge of the medical field.

I am a certified Phlebotomist from Paris Junior College, and a licensed Emergency Medical Technician from North East Texas EMS Academy. I am also, of course, registered with The American Heart Association for the use of AED and CPR.