Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Chisels


I am looking for a chisel to help make round corners for hinges and strike plates. I can only ones that will square off a round corner. Do they make a tool like this?


As far as I know, I have never seen a chisel that will round the corners of a mortise. The way a rounded corner is achieved is by routing out that mortise with a router bit, and people usually want to square the corner up. My best suggestion would be to figure out the radius of the corner and buy an appropriate carving chisel.

Here's a link to a chisel sweep (radius) chart - it would be easy to figure out the radius you need for those mortises. If I had a lot of mortises I wanted to round off, I would invest in the right chisel for the job.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Jamie in Vegas

Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jamie Yocono


Woodworker, Furniture designer/builder, industrial arts educator. Bachelor degree in Furniture Design, and journeyman carpenter, with a 4 year apprenticeship. Currently owner of custom furniture/cabinet shop in Las Vegas, NV. Can answer most woodworking questions EXCEPT those regarding repairs, refinishing, and antiques.


Bachelor in Furniture Design - Ohio University (1980) Journeyman Carpenter, Local 639 Adult educator - Developed adult education woodworking program for the University of Akron, and taught classes there for 9 years. Opened a private woodworking school in Las Vegas, NV and teach private and semi-private lessons. In 2011, I will begin teaching UNLV woodworking classes at my school. Sweet!

Furniture Society

Tile Design and Installation Magazine (Article on inlaying tile into wood)

Journeyman Union Carpenter Bachelors degree in Furniture Design (Ohio University) College of Hard Knocks!

©2017 All rights reserved.