Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Chisels

Question
I am looking for a chisel to help make round corners for hinges and strike plates. I can only ones that will square off a round corner. Do they make a tool like this?

Answer
James,

As far as I know, I have never seen a chisel that will round the corners of a mortise. The way a rounded corner is achieved is by routing out that mortise with a router bit, and people usually want to square the corner up. My best suggestion would be to figure out the radius of the corner and buy an appropriate carving chisel.

Here's a link to a chisel sweep (radius) chart - it would be easy to figure out the radius you need for those mortises. If I had a lot of mortises I wanted to round off, I would invest in the right chisel for the job.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Articles.aspx?ArticleId=396

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Jamie in Vegas

____________
Jamie Yocono
Wood It Is! Custom Cabinetry
Las Vegas, NV
www.wooditis.com

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Jamie Yocono