Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/How to cover No Sag springs for a pillow cushion on a Morris chair.

Question
Stickley Eastwood Chair
Stickley Eastwood Chai  
I've built a Morris chair with an internal oak frame with No Sag springs stretched flat. I plan on covering the springs with burlap, a very firm pad like a carpet pad and then a fabric that matches the cushion. I hope to be able to wrap the fabric over the sides and staple around the bottom edge.

For the cushion, I plan on making a pillow cushion that sits on top, similar to the cushions shown in the picture I've attached of a Stickley 89-2638 Eastwood chair. I plan (so far) on a foam inner core with a dacron wrap.

I'm unsure how to cover the springs and I'd like a recommendation to the cushion construction.

1. How do I cover them so that it stretches enough?  I know the burlap and pad should be loose but will an upholstery fabric stretch enough? Or do I need a different type of fabric to hold the burlap and pad in place and then cover just the front 4 inches, or so, with the upholstery fabric?

2. What do you recommend for a foam thicknesses for the seat and back?

3. Is the dacron wrap appropriate for this look or do I need the cotton batting too/instead? Or something else entirely?

BTW, Your advice on the frame construction, spring spacing, and most importantly how to stretch and attach the springs was most helpful. It was safe and easier than expected with your insight.

Answer
Hello Joel,

1. The burlap should be loose so that it gives with the springs without tearing loose.  The pad is not stretched at all but just lays loose on top of the springs.  It is very important to keep the surface as flat as possible so that the seat cushion lays flat on the "deck".

Padding material such as bonded dacron should be on the sides of the frame where you intend to wrap the upholstery material to the bottom of the frame.  There should be no need to have the 4 inch strip on the front,  most upholstery materials will have enough give/stretch if you cover the entire seat wrapping over the sides in one piece of fabric.  

2.  The thickness of the seat cushion is determined by the finished height of the seat,  18 inches is standard seat height.  The thickness of the foam is determined by what it will take to reach the 18 inch finished seat height.  Lay a yardstick flat on top of the seat cushion,  the distance from the floor to the yardstick should be 18 inches.  

For example if the upholstered seat deck is 12 inches high (standard) the seat cushion foam is 4 inches plus 2 inches for padding - that makes a 6 inch thick cushion and an 18 inch high seat.  

The thickness of the back cushion is determined by what is required to make the finished seat depth 21 inches.  Since back cushions have a slant, measure at the bottom of the back cushion where it sits on top of the seat cushion - that finished distance from the front edge of the seat cushion to the crown (center) of the back cushion should be 21 inches.   

3.  Only dacron wrap is suitable for foam core cushions.  Cotton batting should never be used to wrap foam cushions.  

Thanks for the compliment,  I hope these pointers help as well.  Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need clarification.  

Mark Miller.  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Mark H. Miller