Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Finishing a cheese box

Hello Eileen, I have taken the fabric covering off an old cheese box and would like to finish it in some way. it is in its unfinished original condition. Suggestions?

Thanks, Barb

Hi Barb
Nice to hear from you.
I take it this is one of those old cheese boxes we used to cover with fabric and use for a foot stool or storage etc.
Personally I would just apply some Minwax oil stain in a light color then wipe on a couple of coats of tung oil.
I would definately not paint the box but thats me.
Hope this helps

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk

Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.

I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.