Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/kitchencabinets

i have south american cherry cabinets that have some  scratche sand marks on them. i would like to fix them a bit without refinishing them. they have a natural finish on them now. isaw a guest on the today show say you could use a furniture polish and fine steel wool but i was unable to purchase the brand he recommended.

Furniture polish and steel wood (finest) can only help with surfaces scratches.
If the damages (scratches, sand marks) etc. are below the finish and stain; and your finger nail catches on the damage as you go across it; you need to see about having them melted-in buy a touch-up person.
I would like to know the brand of furniture polish the guest was referring to on the today show.

Be careful when you use steel wool on a finish.  Steel wool polishes as you go over the scratches etc.  If your cabinets are a satin finish you will end up with shinny areas where ever you use the steel wool.

If the scratches etc. are mostly surface scratches; we use a product called Rocky Mountain Lustre.  This polish covers surface scratches without using steel wool.  If they are deeper scratches; the linseed oil etc. in the Rocky Mountain Lustre Polish will darken those areas.   

Please let us know if there is any other information you would like from us.

Thanks for your email.

Joseph Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.