Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/EA Country French Table

Question
Greg, my wife/I have an Ethan Allen country french kitchen dining table.  My son and a friend spilled rubbing alcohol on it during the course of a biology experiment, which seems to have "permanently" discolored the EA special finish on the table  Table is now some 20+ years old, w/ a few fairly deep scratches on the surface.  I'm wondering 1.  How to "undo" the alcohol discoloration
2.  If I should try to refinish, or leave to a pro, in order to repair the scratches...

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Answer
Hi Mark, I would suggest that this type of damage is best left to a Pro. Refinishing a Dining table well, and with a matching, durable finish is a skill, and is NOT something that can be accomplished by the typical homeowner or DIY'er.It is most likely a sprayed on lacquer finish, and likely uses "toning", (a process of using dye based toners under the clear coat to enhance the finish), as this was very common in Ethan Allen's finishes.The alcohol damage cannot be "undone" as the finish has been permanently scarred by the alcohol, most likely. I would have a Pro or two come in and evaluate it with you, which they should be able to offer free or at a very nominal charge.Regards and post back if need be- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl