Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/light spots on maple cabinets

We just moved into a house (7 years old) with maple kitchen cabinets, we wanted to update the look by replacing the handles. When we removed the old pulls the maple is lighter underneath than the rest of the cabinets. Is there anyway to fix this or will we have to use the same style of pulls to re-cover. Any advice you have would be much appreciated!

Hi April
Nice to hear from you.
If there are spots where the old handles were, it would indicate to me that the doors have slightly darkened over the 7 years they were installed.
This is very common and usually the way it is.
Unfortunately it cannot be fixed but your idea of getting handles with the same or larger base is correct.
You can also purchase plates that cover this area before applying your new handles. These plates are the same metal as the handles and can be purchased to match each other.
If you want to change the look of the cuoboards, you can also spray paint the old handles and hindges.
I have done this in the past and it looks good.
I hope this gives you some ideas.
Get back if necessary

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk

Hi..I can answer most questions about the repairing,stripping and refinishing of all your old furniture and wood items(the things we call antiques)I can give advice about what to buy/avoid at auctions/flea markets. I do not give appraisals on antiques.

I have been refinishing antiques for the past 30yrs. While I have taken several courses over the years,I have found that "hands on" learning is the best teacher. Perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made while learning.