Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/drawer glides

Question
A chest of drawers has wood guides shaped like a dovetail. The center of each drawer bottom, front to back, has the gap, while the cabinet has a board shaped like a single dovetail attached from the front of the opening to the back of the cabinet. The edges of the "dovetails" have shredded off so the drawer is no longer held in place and the drawer tips out when opened. Any way to fix it?

Answer
Hey Tony, sure..just remake the pieces. It may require the services of a skilled woodworker, if you don't have those skills...but it should be fairly straight forward to just remake the slides....and install them. Regards- Greg

The question didn't ask me much either...I sent a straight forward response to "edges of the "dovetails" have shredded off any way to fix it?" in hopes of starting a further dialog, if that is what the questioner desired...it is not common practice to spend 20 minutes explaining the multitude ways the the problem could be solved, various woods that could be used, ways to replace the slides with a completely different mechanism,possible tools and techniques that could or should be used, etc., etc....unless those questions are also asked in a follow up.......there's absolutely no way one could spend that much time on every initial question, in a volunteer situation......sorry you expected that, and sorry you felt my initial advice was worth 5's, without re-engaging the question at least once.......

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl