Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/White dots on refinished oak cabinets

Tom wrote at 2013-04-05 03:53:33
We have the exact same problem happening as we speak.  My wife is sprucing up the oak cabinets in our kid's bathroom.  They were installed by our builder about 12 years ago with minwax stain and laquer finish.  She pulled the drawers and sanded them down with an electric sander.  She then stained the doors and drawers in the garage and the vanity in place.  After the second coat of stain the white spots began to pop up randomly on the doors and drawers.  She cleaned them off (I think with light sanding).  Several days later (when it warmed up again outside)she applied the first coat of Helsman Spar Urethane.  Seems to work better than laquer in the moist areas like our basement bathroom that I built.  A few hours later the white spots are back.  Popping through the urethane finish in the same manner.  I hope you get an answer because we are at a loss.  The only thing I can think of is it might have to do with the cool garage.  We have refinished a few of the windows and doors in our bathroom last year in the same manner without any problems.  The vanity frame that we stained in place does not appear to have the same issues.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.