Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Finishing

Hi Greg,
I have been woodworking for nearly 40yrs but never worked with Arican Padauk. It's a joy to work with but what is the best glue to use for laminating and how do you finish it to retain its newly revealed surface to prevent oxadizing.
I am told UV inhibitors help but will ultimately give way to a rich brown.
I have seen pics of furniture with the rich orange color; how do they do it.
Would really appreciate your help.

Hey Barry, there are some glues designed for oily woods, but my experience is that Padauk glues well with typical woodworking glues, (I use Titebond II, WeldBond, Elmers Yellow)if you wash the surfaces down with something likel WilBond before gluing. The orange will eventually mellow to a dark brownish/reddish/ color, and it will make a difference with how much UV it is exposed to as to how fast that happens. There are finishes with UV inhibitors, although I have not experimented with these....but like any wood, it would likely only postpone the eventual oxidation for a period of time, until Mother Nature wins trying to plan for keeping the freshly milled Orangish hue is likely a losing proposition. It could take years to fully oxidize, but it will eventually happen.Waterborne finishes are said to hold the color better, and Oils will make it oxidize faster....certainly as mentioned, UV inhibitors would also be a good idea.I have used it to make cutting boards, and the color has stayed surprisingly true, but every 8-12 months I do scrape/sand them and oil with a butcher block product.  Hope that helps a little- regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.