Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/New KitchenMaid cabinets

Question
Dear Mr. Eldredge,

Hello! We recently had our kitchen renovated. The contractor installed KitchenMaid cabinets (semi-custom; maple; painted). We have found about 15 small imperfections, mostly tiny scratches and places where two pieces meet with the meeting spot obvious. Also, the insides of the doors seem to be only lightly painted.

I made a big stink about this (shouldn't the cabinets be perfect?), and tomorrow I'll be meeting at my house with the KitchenMaid rep, the salesman at the supply house (Mid-South), and the contractor.

I'd like to know what's normal for this type of new cabinet (in case the KitchenMaid rep uses "normal" as an excuse). I intend to be reasonable and polite--but I could use more information about just what sort of imperfections a client should expect to put up with.

Thanks so much!

Answer
Judy,
Thanks for your e-mail.
All of the scratches should be made to disappear.
The joints have a small tolerance; but, they should not be obvious.

This is not normal in any state; especially a professional as KithenMaid Cabinets.

In our business; one facet is to follow construction companies and cabinet companies, correcting any imperfections that the customers want corrected.
This is the financial responsibility of the construction and custom cabinets, paneling, shelving etc.
The term they use to refer to this is: "after the fact touch-up profession"

The many office buildings and homes that we work in; state in their contracts - no obvious or noticeable damages as you walk-by the completed job - are to be tolerated.

Make sure the insides of the cabinets are up to the same specifications as the front of the cabinets.

Don't accept any imperfections that are obvious to you.

You are the final walk-thru person to accept or deny any of the completed work.

Stick to your right to have it completed professionally.

Hopefully you have not paid the full amount.

Best of luck!

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge