Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/oak dresser drawers

Question
I have an old oak dresser that I removed what I assume was the oak veneer surface of the drawers' faces. They face of the drawers were badly damaged so total removal was the only option. The top drawer is rounded not flat like the rest. How do I apply a new oak veneer to my drawers #including the rounded one#. How do I cut out the holes for the handles without chipping or damaging the veneer. I very much want to bring this dresser back to life because everything else about the dresser is in great shape and very solid. Please help me if you can. It's a great piece of furniture.

Answer
Hi Mandy, you can re-veneer the drawer fronts and re-drill the hardware holes, but this is skilled woodworking and requires some pretty good "chops" at this type of work.First you have to know whether the Oak is flat sawn or quarter sawn, and then you have to order the veneer. It will come in sheets that will have to be cut to size and then applied to the drawer fronts with glue and clamped. I do NOT recommend contact cement for this type of restoration...so that means you have to have the necessary clamps and pawls to effect a proper glue up.What is your skill and experience level with this type of woodworking? Please post back -regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl