Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Re: finish emitting a film on glassware

QUESTION: I have custom made hickory china cabinet that is seven years old.  I am not sure what it was finished with but the glass doors always gets a film on it.  It also goes on the glassware.  Some of the glasses actually look like they were frosted.  It seems to wash off easily.  Kind of a nuisance to be constantly washing the glasses.  My question is what can I use to seal the wood so that this quits happening?  I am unable to get a hold of the original cabinet maker.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Susan, it's unlikely that the film is a result of the china cabinet, and it is likely already finished on the inside...are there smokers in the house, or is the cabinet close to the kitchen? Post back- Regards- Greg

There are no smokers in the house and the cabinet is located in the dining room.   I also should have mentioned that the film is kind of oily and there is an odor when you open the door to the cabinet, not unlike paint fumes.  All the shelves are wood and is it also finished on the inside.
Thank you.

After 7 years it shouldn't be off gassing anything theoretically...where was this piece made? If it is a petroleum type smell, then it's anyone's guess what could be on the wood inside...but a proper finish, any kind of finish, would have cured thoroughly by now......but I have seen some imported furniture that even smells like gasoline, or kerosene, and the smell was so off putting, the owner had to get rid of them......

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.