Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Stain peeling off of maple doors

I have been making custom cabinets for almost 15 years now and I have stained plenty of maple. About a year and a half ago I did a maple kitchen in which I used M.L. Campbell Woodsong 2. This was a very dark stain stain that the customer selected. Problem is, there are multiple doors and drawer fronts(the one's most commonly used) where the stain and topcoat is peeling off to barewood. I've talked to my supplier and he says that too much pigment was left on the wood. But also tells me that the product didn't fail, but really can't give me a straight answer on what the problem is. Like I said this is not my first time staining maple and never had this problem before. What's your thoughts?

I have used M.L. Campbell Woodsong 2; only a couple of times, and that was over 5 years ago.

Not relating to your staining etc.  --- I was told by my supplier that the darker the pigmentation in Woodsong 2 the less penetration and adherence to the raw fibers.
The heavier the pigmentation; the less the solid can perform it's job.
I was also told; that if all of the pigment wasn't  wiped-off thoroughly, there was a greater chance of the stain not adhering as it should and consequently the finish doesn't have the grip on the wood that is needed.  Thus; the release of the product when hands are constantly on certain areas.

As you already know; the oils in our hands are very acetic and after a time; can penetrate the finish and stain, removing both.
This is very common in the homes where we are working; but, it seems that it usually takes longer than a year and a half.

I am sure that you are already aware of the information above and I wish you well in your project.

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.