Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Top coat for gel stain

I was wondering what kind of top coat to put on a gel stain? I stained pine with a gel stain then I put a top coat of Deft Lacquer and it came out rough is there anything I can do to fix this short of removing the stain and starting over?

Gel stains as you know are thick-bodied and have a tendency to stay more toward the surface of the wood; instead of more penetration, like and oil stain.
Gel stains are what we refer to as a water-borne product. They are generally an acrylic base; with the water being the vehicle to let the acrylic move across the wood.
When the water evaporates;you have an acrylic product.These are good products; but, usually won't take a lacquer finish. The reason being; that lacquer is considered a hot finish and will etch deep into your gel stain.

When Deft lacquer inters the gel stain; it has a tendency to lift the product; as these are non-compatible products. This might be what is causing a rough finish.
I am not sure if it lifted the color out of your stained wood.
If not; you may be able to lightly steel wool (#0000) some of the rough areas and apply water based oil-modified polyurethane or a tung oil finish.
If it has removed the gel color from the wood; you will probably have to start over.

I hope I answered your question to a degree to help with your situation.

Please don't hesitate to e-mail with any further questions.

Good luck!

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.