Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Tung Oil

Burl Natural Edge Bowl
Burl Natural Edge Bowl  

Inside bowl
Inside bowl  
Greg, thank you for taking my question.  I have just turned a bowl on the lathe that is Burl.  I have placed the first coat of Tung Oil on the bowl and it has dried for 24 hours.  The bowl is a little dull and I would like a shine finish.  Can you place anything over the Tung Oil such as Polyurethane to put a good shine on the bowl.  If not if I put more coats of Tung Oil on will this bring out a shine. This is the fire natural edge burl bowl I have turned and the first time for me to use Tung Oil.  Thank you again and have a great day.

Kenny Davis

Hi Kenny, the more coats, the shiner it will get as the finish 'builds'....if you like the look, I would steer you towards WaterLox...which is a modified Tung oil finish that dries more predictably and offers better water resistance. The only draw back to these finishes, (or
long oils in general) is that they take many weeks to fully cure, which can be maddening. You can apply a varnish over the Tung oil, but it does need to cure for a few weeks before doing so. There is a plethora of finishes that can be used on turnings, I like afew coats of dewaxed Garnet Shellac and wax on a decorative bowl,which dries in a few minutes.. or paste varnish as well..(General Satin Gel, or Behlen Master Gel) which will dry in about 4-6 ours to recoat and is foodsafe when cured.I even use waterborne acrylic urethanes, applying with a cloth with the object spinning on the lathe for a quick drying clear finish, like the excellent Zar Ultra, or the General Enduro-Var.I'm getting impatient in my older I hate waiting for finishes to dry for days and back if need be-regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.