Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/cabinet finish problems

QUESTION: Dear Greg,
We have custom cabinets that are less than two years old and have already had four doors resprayed twice.  The finish gets either cracking marks or whitish marks.  I think it is moisture getting behind the finish.  They are maple cabinets without stain, finished with Maclaq f237, satin.  The doors are relatively plain with some hard edges not beveled on the panel.  
I would appreciate any ideas you might have as to why this problem could be happening.  The cabinet maker seems to have no idea, says he has never encountered this before.

ANSWER: Hi Phyllis, is it the same 4 doors that you've had to redo?....of so, where in the kitchen are they located, ( for example, above the dishwasher, etc...)- Thanks- Greg

QUESTION: We had the whole bank of drawers and spice door across from the sink and dishwasher redone once and then we had spice door and one of those drawers redone a second time.  The other two doors are below the sink and right next to the dishwasher and they have been redone twice.  However, the doors above the dishwasher and above the microwave have never been redone and don't show any of those cracks or white marks.  Sometimes the door above the microwave gets wet with steam if we forget to turn on the fan and it is ok!

Without knowing the details of his exact finishing schedule, it's very difficult to guess whats going on here, but I do know the manufacturer recommends that the first coat be thinned properly if using it alone as the finish, and applying all coats within a 24hr. period....this is a pre-catalyzed finish, normally a good and correct choice for such a use, but they do also go bad, or have a shelf life. I would be going back to the manufacturer to inquire what could be going on..perhaps he's using a sealer under it that he shouldn't be or something else...wish I could be of more help- Please post back when you know the answer,as I would like to know what they say, or if I can be of more assistance.- regards- Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.